Thursday 21 March 2013

High Key Vs. Low Key

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been living at school. Two different portrait assignments have given me the opportunity to work with the wonderful models from Models International Management. 

The first was Elise. She is a wonderful girl who potentially wants to venture into photography later in life. ( I told her to enroll at algonquin and go for it, not matter what others might tell her about the industry) Calm and gentle, she posed for me like a pro! This High Key assignment was a succes. 

Traditionally, High Key images are taken on a white background of a subject with fair hair and skin. These are some of the images from the shoot:
Elise from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013

Elise from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013

Elise from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013

Elise from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013

Elise from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013
Being pleased with these results, I called the agency up for another model for my Low Key portrait assignment. Faraji is a charming man who has come to Canada form France. Never having shot a man (Other then my boyfriend) I felt nervous for this shoot. He put me and my assistant (Jacynthe Blanchard) at ease by helping us with our set every one in a while and bringing many different outfits and posing like a natural. He was a brease to work with and I wish him all the best!

 Low Key imagery is traditionally shot with a male figure who has dark hair on a dark background with minimal lighting. The overall effect is very dramatic. Here are some of the images from that shoot: 

Faraji from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013 

Faraji from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013 

Faraji from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013 

Faraji from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013 

Faraji from MIM
©Sophie Fortier 2013 

Overall, I was pleased with the results and love both lighting styles. It amazes me how far I've come along since the beginning of the school year. Algonquin has taught me so much, and so much more to come! Stay posted for more images and my digital portfolio at the end of the semester. And remember, stay beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment